Friday 22 March 2013

Library VS Bookstore

If you're like me, you like to read right? I mean why else would you be here? Also if you're like me you like to read... quite a bit. Unfortunately, my being only seventeen means that I do not have the luxury of purchasing books frequently. A girls gotta have a social life as well you know. So this often results in me using our dear old libraries for my literature. Don't take me up wrong, I love libraries, think they're important not only to the community but to the individual. I mean, without them, I wouldn't have read quite so many of books.

                    But this is the question: Libraries or Bookstores?

Pros/Cons of Libraries

Pros:

  • The books are free. You can take them out and read them and it wont cost you anything.
  • There is a wide variety.
  • If a book has been taken out multiple times, you can kinda guess it must be worth reading.
  • You may come across a book that you wouldn't of got if you were in a bookstore, and you might really enjoy it.
  • The most amazing feeling, when you're casually strolling through the shelves and you come across a book you've been eager to read. 
  • You get given a card. I'm the kinda person who has her purse full of store loyalty cards, a card is a good thing in my eyes. (you may disagree).

Cons:

  • Books may not be in the best of condition.
  • They may not have a certain book you are looking for.
  • Sometimes they have the second book of a trilogy and not the first. That just frustrates me.
  • Around four o'clock they get packed with people doing their homework or studying.
  • You have a limited amount of time to read the book. You must return it. This sometimes makes me read faster so that I don't feel like I have taken it away for so long.



Pros/Cons of Bookstores

Pros:

  • They have newly released books.
  • Sometimes they have sales or offers on ( who doesn't like a 3for2?)
  • The books are in good condition
  • You get to keep the books when finished reading.
  • You may not feel the urge to rush the book, because it is yours and you do not have to return it.

Cons:

  • You have to pay for the books.
  • Sometimes they put stupid stickers on the books that are hard to get off. 
  • When there is the same book with two different covers and one is cheaper than the other. WHY?

 So.. That's really my thoughts on bookstores or Libraries, i use them both. If i have money to spend I'll go to the bookstore, if I don't, then library it is.
Some people feel they need to own a lot of books. I don't. Maybe if i found a book in the library that I loved, and knew I'd want to read again, then yeah sure I'd go get a copy, but I wouldn't buy a book just to have it and showcase it in my room like I'm some good person because I read ( I know people like this, that is why I'm mentioning it. Do you know them people? don't you just hate them! If you are one of those people... sorry...)

No comments:

Post a Comment