Saturday 6 July 2013

Scarred by Julia Hoban

ScarredScarred by Julia Hoban
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

It's hard to keep a secret when it's written all over your body


On a rainy day seven months ago, Willow drove her parents home from a party and they had a car crash. Both her parents died.

'My parents are dead. I killed them'

Living without her parents, living with her brother who can barley look at her, Mia has submerged deep under a wave - tidal wave, unrelenting wave of depression. Her only release comes from her silvery friend.


Then she meets Guy, who discovers her secret. Willow is scared. He makes her feel things, and she can't - wont allow herself to feel things.

She is a shadow of her former self. She just tries to survive the day.


MY THOUGHTS ON THIS BOOK.

I did enjoy this book. It is a real portrayal of a person who self harms. It didn't give a perfect case scenario of a girl meeting a boy, and then suddenly, all is well in her life. This is a story about grief and redemption. It is a story about a girl who is trying to live her life without having her parents in it.
'I'll never be anyones daughter'

This story is not just about self harm. It is a story about guilt and forgiveness. I loved the love story between Guy and Willow. I feel it reflects a real love story. Many books create this magnificent, other worldly love story which doesn't exist in real life, making the reader (this reader) sad that they will never experience a love to that magnitude. This was a realistic love. One I could see being true, that I myself may eventually find.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment